Economic analysis of the fishery activities of Bergobindapur baor at Chaugachha upazila under Jessore district of Bangladesh
Keywords:economic analysis, baor fishery activities, impact on fishermen
The study was conducted on Bergobindapur baor at Chaugachha upazila under Jessore district. The study period was February to June, 2015. Data were collected by using participatory rural appraisal (PRA) tools and personal observation. Net return was loss in 2013-2014 and the loss amount was BDT 254200. Cost benefit-ratio in 2013-2014 was 0.99. Major income (83.30%) of the fishermen community was drawn from the fishery activities of Bergobindapur baor. In 2014-2015, average income of fishermen was BDT 25250 during the fishing period. Within the household of fishermen community, the expenditure for food was 19%, clothing, 3%, childrens education, 19%, medical, 3%, dowry and religion, 33%, agriculture, 13% and others, such as business, accommodation, sanitation etc. 10%, which came from baor activities. The findings of this study indicated that Bergobindapur baor plays a vital role for the support of livelihood of fishermen and net profit from baor was not satisfactory. A long-term strategy should be developed to make the baor profitable. The developed strategic plans should be initiated immediately for the profitability of the baor as well as improving the livelihood conditions of the fishermen engaged with the boar fishery activities.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. September 2016, 2(3): 436-441
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.