Nutritional and therapeutic potential of Glycyrrhiza glabra L. roots
Keywords:cytotoxic; food additives; Glycyrrhiza glabra; root extracts; therapeutic
This study was aimed to estimate the antioxidant, anti-diabetic, anti-amnesic, anti-biofilm, thrombolytic, hemolytic, and cytotoxic effects of G. glabra root extracts for nutritive and medicinal purpose. Antioxidant, alpha amylase, antiglycation, anti-amnesic, cytotoxic, thrombolytic and antibiofilm assays were performed. In the current research, G. glabra root extracts showed significant antioxidant (80.96 mg GAE/100 g TPC, 38.96 mg CE/100 g TFC, 46% DPPH scavenging), antidiabetic (75% antiglycation, 38.7% α-amylase inhibition), anti-amnesic (5.5%), hemolytic (19.46%), thrombolytic (35.4%) and antibiofilm (72% P. multocida, 51.57% S. aureus inhibition) activities. G. glabra root extracts have remarkable activity to fight against oxidative stress, hyperglycemia, blood coagulation, bacterial growth, DNA damage and memory enhancing ability that ensure its uses in food and pharmaceutical industries.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. June 2019, 5(4): 265-270
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.