Study on Early Childhood Adversities of Orphans Rearing in Orphanages

  • Fahad Mahmood Lecturer, Department of Community Medicine, National Institute of Preventive and Social Medicine (NIPSOM), Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Nirmeen Rifat Khan Professor, Department of Community Medicine, NIPSOM, Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Md Ziaul Islam Professor and Head of the Department of Community Medicine, NIPSOM, Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Tasmia Shahreen Medical Officer, Lab Call Centre, DGHS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
  • Md Noor Ashad Uz Zaman Lecturer, Department of Public Health & Hospital Administration, NIPSOM, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Keywords: Orphan, childhood adversity

Abstract

Orphans spread a significant mass of our absolute child folks and this study was planned to determine the early childhood adversities of orphans that may attract them in various violence and perilous fortune lead further that in the end have a long-standing psycho-social impact on their adulthood. This was a cross-sectional study that was completed among 301orphans of both genders. The subjects were chosen by convenient sampling technique based on specific inclusion criteria and maintaining ethical issues. The study was directed from January to December 2017 in different orphanages of Chittagong and Dhaka city. The examination uncovered, maximum (84%) of participants were male and the rest (16%) were female. Among them, around 44.9% of them were matured from 10-12 years followed by 37.9% matured between 13-15 years. The majority (62%) of the participants had education up to primary/equivalent level. A maximum (69.77%) of them lost their father and 17.94% of them lost both of their parentages. The study revealed, physical assault (30.2%), serious domestic accident (27%), and life-threatening illness/injury (33.6%) had higher frequencies than other events that happened with the participants personally. Additionally, events like traffic transportation accidents (47.3%), serious domestic accidents (36.8%), and physical assault (28.3%) had higher frequencies than other events experienced through observing to transpiring. Then again, transportation accidents, domestic accidents (ꭓ2 =32.673, p<0.05), physical assault, life-threatening illness/injury were experienced among 16-18 years of aged orphans personally where assault with a weapon and sexual assault (ꭓ2 =14.637, p< 0.05) were more frequent among 13-15 years old gathering.

Bangladesh Med J. 2020 Jan; 49 (1): 26-32

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
126
PDF
115
Published
2021-01-19
How to Cite
Mahmood, F., Khan, N., Islam, M. Z., Shahreen, T., & Zaman, M. N. A. (2021). Study on Early Childhood Adversities of Orphans Rearing in Orphanages. Bangladesh Medical Journal, 49(1), 26-32. https://doi.org/10.3329/bmj.v49i1.52586
Section
Original Articles