Flowering and fruiting behavior of velvet apple
Keywords:flowering behavior, fruiting behavior, velvet apple
The study was conducted at three upazilla of Patuakhali during the period from the 1st February, 2013 to the 31st July, 2013 to evaluate the flowering and fruiting behavior of velvet apple germplasm. Twelve velvet apple germplasm were selected from three locations (DD 01, DD 04, DD 06, and DD 09 from Dumki; DD 02, DD 05, DD 08 and DD 10 from Mirzaganj; DD 03, DD 07, DD 11 and DD 12 from Patuakhali sadar upazilla) by field survey. The age of plant varied from 10 to 25 years having satisfactory growth and good health. A lot of variations in different parameters were observed among the germplasm. Flowering season started from 22 February and continued up to 20 April. Percentage of fruit setting ranged from 65.15 % to 92.26 % in DD 07 and DD 01, respectively. Required time for fruit maturation ranged from 116 days (DD 01) to 129 days (DD 07). Single fruit weight varied from 198.10 g (DD 12) to 238.90 g (DD 01). The highest number of seeds (8) was found in DD 07 while DD 01 was seedless. The length and diameter of fruit ranged from 6.72 cm (DD 07) to 8.04 cm (DD 01) and 6.09 cm (DD 07) to 7.27 cm (DD 01), respectively. The maximum edible portion (87.33 %) was recorded in seedless germplasm DD 01, while it was the lowest (42.00 %) in DD 07.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. December 2015, 1(3): 660-669
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.