Therapeutic use of Withania somnifera
Keywords:Withania somnifera, Asgand, Anti-inflammatory activity, Immunomodulatory activity, Unani medicine
Withania somnifera (L) Dunal is commonly called as Ashwagandha/Asgand and it belongs to the family Solanaceae. It is a well known medicinal plant widely used in the treatment of many clinical conditions in Indian subcontinent. It is an important medicinal plant commonly known as Asgand which has been used either single or in combination with other drugs in Unani as well as Ayurvedic system of medicine for centuries. It has been described by Dioscorides (78 AD) in his book Kitab-ul-Hashaish. Asgand consists of the roots of Withania somnifera which has various therapeutic actions such as anti - inflammatory (Muhallil-e-Warm), sedative (Musakkin), aphrodisiac (Muqawwi-e-Bah), hepatoprotective, immune-modulator activity, anti-oxidant, anti-ageing, anti-tumour activity, adaptogenic activity and has anti-anticonvulsant activity. Keeping in view the medicinal properties of Withania somnifera Dunal (Asgand), an attempt has been made in this paper to explore various dimensions of the drug including phytochemical and pharmacological studies carried out on this herb.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. June 2016, 2(2): 148-155
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.