Effect of seed washing either alone or in combination with garlic extract and Knowin 50WP on quality of jute seeds
Keywords:jute, seed borne fungi, seed washing, garlic, Knowin 50WP
Efficacy of seed washing, garlic extract, prewashed seeds treated with garlic extract, Knowin 50 WP (Carbendazim) and prewashed seeds treated with Knowin 50WP were evaluated on seed borne fungi of jute seeds. Nine seed borne fungi were detected on both deshi and tossa jute seed samples collected from sadar upazilla of Barisal district viz., Macrophomina phaseolina, Botryodiplodia theobromae, Fusarium spp, Colletotrichum corchori, Curvularia lunata, Aspergillus flavus, A. niger, Penicillium spp. and Alternaria spp.. Physical seed washing and garlic extract were found effective against seed borne diseases of jute which significantly decrease the association of seed borne fungi from jute seeds. Prewashed seeds treated with garlic extract showed highest germination and highest reduction of seed borne mycoflora from desi and tossa jute seeds. Knowin 50WP or prewashed seeds treated with Knowin 50WP were found effective to reduce seed borne fungi from jute seeds. Highest vigor index was obtained in jute seedlings raised from prewashed seeds treated with Garlic or Knowin 50WP. Thus, prewashed seeds treated with Garlic or Knowin 50WP resulting significant reduction of seed-borne fungal population and enhancing seeding vigor.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. June 2016, 2(2): 318-323
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.