Water quality, feeding management and cost-benefit analysis of a fish hatchery in Jessore district of Bangladesh
Keywords:water quality parameters, proximate composition of the formulated feed, cost-benefit analysis, hatchling production
The study was conducted at Ma-Fatema Fish Hatchery in Jessore from January to March, 2016. The present study was emphasized on water quality parameters, feeding management and cost- benefit analysis. The water quality parameters temperature (0C), pH, dissolved oxygen (DO) (mg/l) and transparency (cm) were measured by Celsius thermometer, pH meter, DO meter and secchi disk, respectively. The proximate composition of feed ingredients was determined by the Association of Analytical Chemists, 1980. Brood fishes were reared all year round in the brood ponds by supplying formulated feeds. Temperature was 19oC -26°C in brood ponds and 18oC-24oC in hatching jars; pH was 6.937.87 in brood ponds and 6.79-7.54 in the hatching jars; dissolved oxygen was 4.8-6.3 mg/l in brood ponds and 4.8-6.7 mg/l in hatching jars; transparency was 14-18 cm in the brood ponds. The percentage of farm made feed was protein (27.76%), lipid (4.9%), CHO (18.62%), ash (11.31%), fiber (6.4%), moisture (31.01%). The cost benefit ratios were 1.54, 1.32 and 1.23 and net profits were BDT 49911.67, BDT 24816.67and BDT 16366.67 respectively in January, February and March. Management of brood fish by providing quality feed and physico-chemical parameters of water were maintained in according to scientific procedure. Cost-benefit ratio of the hatchery in common carp production was satisfactory.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. September 2016, 2(3): 414-421
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.