Testing purity of commonly used marketed insecticides collected from different regions of Bangladesh
Keywords:insecticides, quinalphos, malathion, fenitrothion, purity
The study was made on testing purity of different marketed brands of three insecticide groups such as quinalphos, malathion and fenitrotion in the Pesticide Analytical Laboratory under Division of Entomology, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI), Gazipur using suitable protocols GC-FID. Nineteen marketed brands of these insecticides collected form dealers or retailers of Jessore, Gazipur and Rangpur region were analyzed and estimated their purity in two seasons of 2006-2007 and 2007-2008. In these two seasons, among five marketed brands of Malathion, only one brand (MTF) had 98.95-100% purity which was collected from Jessore in 2007-08 and Gazipur in both the seasons and considered to be standard or acceptable product, but in other regions, this brand contained less AI and was found to be <95% pure which was considered as substandard product. The remaining brands contained 22-92% purity including SRL and MTX having small amount of AI (22-44% purity) and all these were unacceptable and impure. Fenitrothion with five marketed brands showed ? 96% purity only in SMT brand in Gazipur and Jessore in 2006-07 and in all the three locations in 2007-08 seasons and this brand considered as standard product. The other four brands of this insecticide had purity at substandard level in all locations in two seasons. Quinalphos with 8 marketed brands, only MLX in 2006-07 and BLX in 2007-08 seasons in all locations had ? 95 % purity which was standard product. ALX and CRX in 2006-07 were almost similar and close to MLX except one location, CRX in Gazipur and ALX in Jessore but these two brands were substandard and impure (65-86%) in next season in all locations. The other brands (KNX, QNP, VNR and SLX) were also substandard and impure having 59% to 87% purity.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. December 2016, 2(4): 616-623
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.