Study of traditional fish drying activities at Atrai upazilla of Naogaon district in Bangladesh
Keywords:raw fish, dry fish, washing, salting, wholesale market
The investigation was conducted on traditional fish drying activities of the Atrai upazila under Naogaon district from July 2011 to December 2011. There was only one fish drying point was found in study area. The observed fish drying points are seasonal (from July to December). There are sixteen fish species were identified for drying among study area. Most of the raw fish collect from local market or Atria River. Transportation of raw fish was done by non-mechanized van or by head load of the labour. Price of the raw fish varied according to the species, size and availability. It is observed that September-October peak period for drying. The rate of mixing salt in the study area was found as 1kg salt for 12 kg of raw fish. At normal weather condition drying duration recorded to be varied from 2-5 days depend on the size of the raw fish. Plastic, jute sack and sometimes bamboo baskets were used for packaging purpose. The marketing channel is too small here. It was found that all the dried fish product in study areas, carried to the Sayadpur dry fish wholesale market in Nilphamary district directly by producers. The annual production of dried fish range 6000-8000 Kg. The highest price per kg dried fish was found as 400-550 Tk (Baim) and the lowest was found as 90-120 Tk (Punti, Darkina, Colisa). The cost benefit ratio for fish drying activities of study area was 1:0.671. The dry fish trader faced some problem such as insufficient credit, lack of raw fish insect infestation, storage and marketing facilities. From the present study some recommendations were also formulated to minimize the problem.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. December 2016, 2(4): 646-655
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.