The effect of the supplementation of lamb feed with Yucca schidigera on the lipid oxidation, color, physico-chemical and microbiological properties in meat
Keywords:antimicrobial, antioksidant, lamb, lipid peroxidation, meat quality, Yucca schidigera
In this study, the effects of the supplementation of lamb rations with Yucca schidigera powder (YSP) on water activity, pH, lipid peroxidation, oxidation of colour parameters and microbial counts in the Musculus gluteo biceps and Musculus longissimus dorsi were investigated. Three groups were established, namely, the Control group fed on a basal ration and Groups YSPI and YSPII given a basal ration added 100 mg/kg and 200 mg/kg of Yucca schidigera powder, respectively. YSP affected pH and lipid peroxidation in the gluteo biceps and longissimus dorsi muscles, L* (Lightness) in the former and L* and a* (redness) in the latter. YSP reduced Enterobacteriaceae and total mesophilic aerobic bacteria counts in both muscles, while its effects on total psychrotrophic aerobic bacteria, Micrococcus/Staphylococcus, Staphylococcus aureus, yeast and mold counts varied. Prolonged storage negatively affected the quality of both muscles, but YSP provided significant amelioration. Dietary supplementation with YSP improved meat quality and shelf life.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. March 2018, 4(1): 86-94
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.