Quality characteristics and hatchability of eggs and serum electrolytes concentration of Gola, Giribaz and Ghiachundi pigeon breed
Keywords:calcium; phosphorus; eggshell thickness; body weight; pigeon
The weather and vast areas of crop fields along with housing premises of Bangladesh are suitable for pigeon farming. The experiment was conducted to evaluate the characteristics of eggs and serum electrolyte concentration of Gola, Giribaz and Ghiachundi pigeon squabs. Three pairs of each breed were reared in the cage with commercial feed and water. After laying eggs, the length and width of eggs were recorded. After hatching of eggs, eggshell thickness was recorded. The thickness of the eggshell was 0.15±0.01 mm, 0.15±0.01 mm, 0.15±0.00 mm for Gola, Giribaz and Ghiachundi breeds respectively. The body weights of the squabs were recorded at 7th and 45th day. The squabs were sacrificed on 45th day and the blood sample was collected and serum sodium, potassium, calcium and phosphorus concentration were measured by using appropriate analytical techniques. Serum sodium, potassium, calcium and phosphorus were: 102.93±15.95 (mmol/L), 11.18±2.19 (mmol/L), 6.20±1.11 (mmol/L), 4.53±0.45 (mmol/L) for Gola breed; 101.48±2.12 (mmol/L), 12.15±0.96 (mmol/L), 5.65±1.09 (mmol/L), 4.53±0.36 (mmol/L) for Giribaz breed and 95.18±6.71 (mmol/L), 11.99±0.91 (mmol/L), 5.09±0.75(mmol/L), 4.81±0.24 (mmol/L) for Ghiachundi breed respectively. A positive correlation has been found between thickness of eggshell and phosphorus while there is a negative correlation with calcium for Gola breed; both have been found insignificant for Giribaz breed and only calcium has been found significant for Ghiachundi breed. A strong correlation between the final body weight of the squab and K for the Gola breed; between the final body weight of the squab and Ca, P, K for Giribaz breed and between the final body weight of the squab and Ca, Na, K have been found. It could be concluded that serum electrolytes having an influential effect on egg characteristics and body weight of corresponding pigeon breed.
Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. 2021, 7 (2), 107-112
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Khaled Mahmud Sujan, Manik Biswas, Sakhawat Hossain Tareq and Md Kamrul Islam
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms / The author(s) affirm(s) that:
- The manuscript submitted is based on authors own research and is original work.
- Authors certify that we all participated in the research work and preparation of the manuscript in a substantive way.
- Authors also declare that they have read and approved the manuscript.
- Authors further declare that the manuscript has not been published in part or full and is not being submitted or considered for publication in part or full elsewhere.
- Any material included in the manuscript does not violate copyright or other rights of anyone.
- Authors also affirm that the article contains no vilifying or unlawful statements and does not contain material or instructions that might cause harm or injury to the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journal and the public.
- Authors assure Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. and the Editor-in-Chief/Editors of the Journals, and hold them harmless from any loss, expense or damage occurred by a claim or suit by a third party for copyright violation, or any suit arising out of any violation of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of my/our article.
- In consideration of authors manuscript submitted, authors hereby grant Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. unlimited, worldwide, permanent royalty-free, right to publish, use, dispense, license, transmit, display, exhibit, record, store, translate, digitize, broadcast, reproduce and archive, in any format or medium, whether now known or developed hereafter.
All materials related to manuscripts, accepted or rejected, including photographs, original figures etc., will be kept by Asian J. Med. Biol. Res. for one year following the editors decision. These materials will then be destroyed.