Prevalence of Recurrence in Early Tongue Cancer T1 or T2 with or Without Neck Dissection
Keywords:Early tongue cancer, Neck dissection, Recurerence
Background: Patients with T1 T2 N0 mouth or tongue cancer that has been confirmed by a doctor may choose to have a neck dissection. Some say that nodal return of a T1 original tumor is well controlled, while others say that salvage is more often the exception than the rule.
Objective: To determine the likelihood of recurrence in T1 or T2 early tongue carcinoma with or without neck dissection.
Methods: The prospective cross-sectional clinical study was conducted from March 2021 to March 2023 at the Department of ENT and Head Neck Surgery, Combined Military Hospital, Dhaka. All 100 patients who presented with clinically determined T1 and T2 disease, as defined by the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC), were treated at the Department of Otolaryngology of the Combined Military Hospital in Dhaka and underwent primary surgical resection of the tumor with or without neck dissection. The study eliminated cases of cancer involving the base of the tongue or recurring oral tongue cancer.
Results: In the neck dissection group, 3(6%) experienced local recurrence, 2(4%) experienced regional recurrence, and 1 (2%) experienced both (local and regional recurrence). There will be no dissection. 10(20%) Local recurrence, 3 (6%), Regional recurrence, and 1 (2% combined local and regional recurrence). Recurrence was 4(8%) in the neck dissection group and 14(28%) in the no dissection group.
Conclusion: In this study, the overall recurrence rate was 8% in neck dissection and 28% in no neck dissection. The overall recurrence rate in the no neck dissection group was significantly greater than in the neck dissection group.
Bangladesh J Otorhinolaryngol 2023; 29(1): 5-10
How to Cite
Manuscripts submitted for publication in the Bangladesh Journal of Otorhinolaryngology must not have been previously submitted or published. Accepted papers become the permanent property of the Bangladesh Journal of Otorhinolaryngology. By submitting a manuscript, the authors(s) agree that copyrights for their articles are automatically transferred to Bangladesh Journal of Otorhinolaryngology, if and when the articles are accepted for publication.
The use, in this journal, of registered trade names, trade marks, etc. without special acknowledgement does not imply that such names, as defined by the relevant protection laws, be regarded as unprotected, and, thus, free for general use.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).