Pattern of Chemical Ocular Injury: A Clinical Study

Authors

  • Subrata Das Chittagong Medical College Chittagong
  • Md. Firoz Kabir Chittagong Medical College Chittagong
  • Joyabrata Das Southern Medical College Chittagong
  • Ahmed Abdul Hannan Chittagong Medical College Chittagong
  • Md. Wazed Chowdhury Chittagong Medical College Chittagong
  • Saiem Mohd Nurul Anwar Southern Medical College Chittagong
  • Rajib Mothey Chittagong Medical College Chittagong

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/cmoshmcj.v13i1.19418

Keywords:

Chemical ocular injury, alkali, acid, visual acuity

Abstract

Background: Chemical ocular injury is a common injury among the population of Bangladesh. This present study in aimed to evaluate the pattern of chemical ocular injury in our context.

Methods: This cross-sectional observational study was done among 50 patients of chemical ocular injury by different substances between January and June 2013. After initial evaluation patients were also followed up for next 3 months to evaluate the visual outcome.

Results: Male to female ratio was 1.7:1. Males between 21-30 years and 41-50 years were mostly affected whereas females of 41-50 were affected most. Most commonly affected occupation was service (36%) followed by housewives (22%) and majority (58%) were from low socio-economic conditions. Thirty five (70%) cases were alkali burn and remainder 15 (30%) were acid burn. Among alkali, hydrated lime Ca (OH)2 had highest percentage 82.8%. Most (46%) patients with good visual acuity i.e. 6/12 6/24 belongs to early (less than six hours) reporting time interval. It was found that 48% were grade I and 34%  cases were grade II injury and other grades were not pronounced. Study showed that improvement of visual acuity after initial management and subsequent treatment was significant.

Conclusion: Alkali burn is the common pattern of ocular injury in our country where lime is the common chemical substance. Early intervention is essential to avoid long term visual disability.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3329/cmoshmcj.v13i1.19418

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
1221
PDF
1783

Author Biographies

Subrata Das, Chittagong Medical College Chittagong

Department of Ophthalmology

Md. Firoz Kabir, Chittagong Medical College Chittagong

Department of Ophthalmology

Joyabrata Das, Southern Medical College Chittagong

Department of Medicine

Ahmed Abdul Hannan, Chittagong Medical College Chittagong

Department of Ophthalmology

Md. Wazed Chowdhury, Chittagong Medical College Chittagong

Department of Ophthalmology

Saiem Mohd Nurul Anwar, Southern Medical College Chittagong

Department of Medicine

Rajib Mothey, Chittagong Medical College Chittagong

Department of Ophthalmology

Downloads

Published

2014-07-06

How to Cite

Das, S., Kabir, M. F., Das, J., Hannan, A. A., Chowdhury, M. W., Nurul Anwar, S. M., & Mothey, R. (2014). Pattern of Chemical Ocular Injury: A Clinical Study. Chattagram Maa-O-Shishu Hospital Medical College Journal, 13(1), 42–45. https://doi.org/10.3329/cmoshmcj.v13i1.19418

Issue

Section

Original Articles