Vertebrate wildlife diversity of Sreepur upazila, Magura, Bangladesh

Authors

  • AK Mandal Govt. H.S.S. College, Magura, Bangladesh
  • MF Jaman Department of Zoology, Dhaka University, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
  • MM Alam Department of Zoology, Dhaka University, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
  • MF Rabbe Department of Zoology, Dhaka University, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
  • AR Shome Department of Zoology, Dhaka University, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/jbcbm.v7i1.57123

Keywords:

Richness; Abundance; Habitat; Threats; Conservation.

Abstract

The species diversity and abundance of wildlife are the important indicators of a healthy ecosystem. A survey-based scientific study on species diversity, abundance and status of vertebrate wildlife was conducted from May 2015 to April 2016 at Sreepur upazila, Magura, Bangladesh. A total of 123 species of vertebrate wildlife was recorded during the 12 months of study period. Among them, eight species (6.5%) were amphibians, 13 (10.57%) reptiles, 84 (68.29%) birds and 18 species (14.64%) were mammals. Out of 84 species of birds, 45 (53.57%) were passerines and 39 (46.43%) non-passerines. Most of the observed birds (72 species, 85.72%) were resident and the rest 12 species (14.28%) were migratory. The highest number of wildlife species was observed in winter (108 species, 87.80%), particularly in December (62 species, 50.40%). The lowest number of species was recorded in June (33 species, 26.83%). Out of 123 species of vertebrate wildlife, three (2.44%) were very common, nine (7.32%) common, 26 (21.14%) fairly common and 85 (69.1%) were common. Of the total species, 117 (95.12%) species were least concern, five (4.06%) near threatened and one (0.81%) was endangered according to IUCN Bangladesh 2015. Implementation of conservation and management plan is required to save the wildlife in the study area.

J. Biodivers. Conserv. Bioresour. Manag. 2021, 7(1): 51-62

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
335
PDF
387

Downloads

Published

2022-01-10

How to Cite

Mandal, A., Jaman, M., Alam, M., Rabbe, M., & Shome, A. (2022). Vertebrate wildlife diversity of Sreepur upazila, Magura, Bangladesh. Journal of Biodiversity Conservation and Bioresource Management, 7(1), 51–62. https://doi.org/10.3329/jbcbm.v7i1.57123

Issue

Section

Articles