Natural Regeneration Potential of Tree Flora at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Safari Park (Bsmsp), Dulahazara, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh

Authors

  • MIU Uddin Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, University of Chittagong, Chattogram - 4331
  • SS Gupta Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, University of Chittagong, Chattogram - 4331
  • MN Ali Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, University of Chittagong, Chattogram - 4331
  • MK Hossain Institute of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, University of Chittagong, Chattogram - 4331

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/jbcbm.v9i1.66628

Keywords:

Dulahazara safari park; Natural regeneration; Regeneration potential; Family importance value index

Abstract

The aim of this study was to evaluate the natural regeneration status of tree flora at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Safari Park (BSMSP) in Dulahazara, Cox’s Bazar. Six blocks were created within the safari park to explore regeneration potential. A total of 41 sample plots of 5m × 5m size, each centered in the middle of a 20m × 20m vegetation survey plot, was taken. In total, 835 seedlings representing 56 tree species under 29 families were recorded. Euphorbiaceae was the dominant family with 8 species followed by Myrtaceae (6 species) and Combretaceae (4 species). The highest Family Relative Density (FRD) was represented by Myrtaceae (26.95%) followed by Euphorbiaceae (16.05%) and Dipterocarpaceae (12.93%). Euphorbiaceae showed the maximum Family Relative Diversity Index FRDI (14.29%) followed by Myrtaceae (10.71%) and Combretaceae (7.14%). The highest Family Importance Value Index (FIVI) was observed in Myrtaceae (37.66%), whereas Euphorbiaceae and Dipterocarpaceae represented 30.33% and 18.29%, respectively. Species in the order of descending value of Importance Value Index (IVI) were Syzygium fruticosum (24.10), Aporosa wallichii (12.30), Dipterocarpus costatus (12.10), Dipterocarpus alatus (11.60) and Fernandoa adenophylla (11.60). The regeneration percentage of seed-originated individuals was 72%, whereas the rest 28% individuals were from coppices. The onset of safe guard and preserve trees with proper management could contribute conserving native gene pool contribution to ecotourism.

J. Biodivers. Conserv. Bioresour. Manag. 2023, 9(1): 1-12

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
130
PDF
71

Downloads

Published

2023-06-16

How to Cite

Uddin, M., Gupta, S., Ali, M., & Hossain, M. (2023). Natural Regeneration Potential of Tree Flora at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Safari Park (Bsmsp), Dulahazara, Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Journal of Biodiversity Conservation and Bioresource Management, 9(1), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.3329/jbcbm.v9i1.66628

Issue

Section

Articles