Goat production system at Mymensingh district in Bangladesh

Authors

  • A Kumar Department of Animal Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202
  • BJ Chae College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200-701
  • AKFH Bhuiyan Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202
  • SC Sarker Department of Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202
  • MM Hossain Department of Animal Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/bjas.v47i1.39396

Keywords:

goat production, organic, feed additives, antibiotic, growth promoter

Abstract

The experiment was conducted to investigate the present status and potentialities of organic goat production in Mymensingh district of Bangladesh through field survey. The data were collected through an interview schedule personally from 45 respondents in 3 villages of Bhaluka upazila who were involved in goat production. Parameters studied were check list for organic goat production likes origin, feeds and fodder, breeding, health care, living conditions and record keeping of livestock and factors related to organic goat production. In this study, about 100% goats were indigenous in origin. Among the farmers, 96% farmers used roadside grass and tree leaves whereas, only 4% farmers used cultivated fodder which was cultivated in their own land. 85% farmers used mixed feed which prepared by themselves. However, only 11% farmers used vitamin mineral supplementation.100% farmers used natural breeding method for goat breeding. About 91, 80 and 100% farmers practiced vaccination, deworming and castration method, respectively. About 84% farmers did not use hormone, antibiotic and growth promoter and 67% farmers removed sick or injured animals from healthy stock. About 100% farmers allowed access to outdoor and fallow land throughout the year. Only 31% farmers reared male and female goat separately and 60% farmers kept livestock record. In Bangladesh goat are reared in the conventional method where different inorganic substances are used by the farmers There are great potentialities for organic goat production in Bangladesh both for satisfying animal protein requirements and production of quality goat meat. For this, it is a prime importance to find out the present status and explore the potentialities of organic goat production in Bangladesh.

Bang. J. Anim. Sci. 2018. 47 (1): 13-20

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
629
PDF
5896

Author Biographies

A Kumar, Department of Animal Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202

Department of Animal Science

BJ Chae, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200-701

College of Animal Life Sciences

AKFH Bhuiyan, Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202

Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics

SC Sarker, Department of Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202

Department of Agricultural Economics

MM Hossain, Department of Animal Science, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mynensingh-2202

Department of Animal Science

Downloads

Published

2018-12-26

How to Cite

Kumar, A., Chae, B., Bhuiyan, A., Sarker, S., & Hossain, M. (2018). Goat production system at Mymensingh district in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Animal Science, 47(1), 13–20. https://doi.org/10.3329/bjas.v47i1.39396

Issue

Section

Articles