Razor blade ingestion in an infant: A case report

Authors

  • Nazmul Islam Bangladesh Shishu Hospital and Institute
  • Refoyez Mahmud Bangladesh Shishu Hospital and Institute
  • Md Samiul Hasan Assistant Professor (Paediatric Surgery), Bangladesh Shishu Hospital and Institute
  • Ashrarur Rahman Professor (Paediatric and neonatal surgery), Bangladesh Shishu Hospital and Institute.

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.3329/jpsb.v9i1.69661

Keywords:

Foreign body, Razor blade

Abstract

Background: Foreign body (FB) ingestion is common in children and most are observed to be between the age of 6 months and 3 years. Usually, majority of cases require no specific treatment and the swallowed foreign body passes through the digestive tract spontaneously without causing significant complications. Less than 1% of the cases complicate by gastrointestinal tract perforation, which is often caused by sharp objects, and warrants surgical intervention. The majority of razor blade ingestions involve prisoners and psychiatric patients, but in paediatric patients it is rare and no cases are reported yet. Our patient is a 9-month-old girl who ingested a razor blade while playing. On radiological investigation, a razor blade like foreign body was found in the stomach. After emergency laparotomy, a single 2.5×1 cm razor blade was detected and carefully and safely removed. The patient was subsequently discharged home on the 5th POD with recommended family diet.

Journal of Paediatric Surgeons of Bangladesh (2018) Vol. 9 (1&2): 53-56

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Abstract
35
PDF
38

Downloads

Published

2023-07-31

How to Cite

Islam, N. ., Mahmud, R. ., Hasan, M. S. ., & Rahman, A. . (2023). Razor blade ingestion in an infant: A case report. Journal of Paediatric Surgeons of Bangladesh, 9(1), 53–56. https://doi.org/10.3329/jpsb.v9i1.69661

Issue

Section

Case Reports